UCC Works Skills Centre Ambassadors
UCC Works Award Programme 2017-2018
Requirements:Interest, previous or desire to gain experience in a fantastic club for teens with Autism
Foróige is a nationwide youth organisation, engaging with 50,000 young people nationwide, with a dedicated staff of 400 and over 5,000 volunteers, who help achieve our work with young people.
Foróige support a range of activities / programmes for young people:
vVolunteer led Clubs / Cafés
vLocal Youth Services
vLocal Youth Development Projects
vGarda Diversion Programmes
vDrugs Prevention Programmes
v Neighbourhood Youth Projects
vBig Brother Big Sister
vEducation Programmes -
vBe Happy Be Healthy,
vHealth & Wellbeing,
Real U, Drugs Awareness
Foróige have approximately 600 clubs nationwide, with a growing network of clubs in South Dublin.
Team Marvel Midnight Strikers Club in Goatstown is the third or three clubs in South Dublin county, for young people (12-16 yrs old) who experience Autism (mild to moderate) with other members with similar Special Intellectual Needs.
The club was set up three years ago, with the grace and fortune of having dedicated, visionary individuals who helped inform and establish the club -- members of the UCD Psychology Department! Family Support Groups for Autistic Children, Aspire (Asperger's Association of Ireland) and individuals with personal and professional experience working with young people on the Spectrum and indeed those who simply had an interest.
This club created a fantastic welcoming and supportive environment fpr a small group of teens (15 members aged 12-16 yrs old) - a club providing these teens with a space where they are accepted for who they are, they can make friends, have fun and try out a range of fun and appropriate activities such as Science Nights, Board Games. cooking, Quizzes, Stand Up Comedy, Trips Bowling and to Mini Golf.
Team Marvel is linked to Elemental Lucan Foróige and Ultra Fusion Foróige Club in Templeogue. Foróige have twenty ASD supported clubs across the country/
Is training provided?: Yes
Please note that Garda Vetting is required for this position.
Tasks that the volunteer(s) will be expected to undertake:
* To work together with a team of volunteer leaders, to host a weekly club for a group of young people
* To embrace the culture and structures that help support this Club, initated by the founding and current Leader team, as this Club requires particular TLC given the nature of young people who are involved
* As part of this, you will help contribute ideas for appropriate activities and learning opportunities for the members, based on the interests and abilities of the members
* As a Leader, you will also be taking on board tasks associated with the successful co-ordination of this club, from managing the paperwork, to organising refreshments, to arranging the necessary resources for a particular club activity (don't worry, these jobs are all shared)
**PLEASE NOTE! We recognise that as 3rd level students, you have important time and commitment pressures on you, exams, study, study, study, part time jobs, down time... we would appreciate that if you wish to be involved in this role, that you are clear with your levels of involvement with the Volunteer Co-ordinator and your Leader Team! Absenteeism really can affect the health and success of a youth club!
Skills required for this role:
* Patient, Understanding, Open to Learning
* Good Sense of Humour!
* Willingness to invest time, creativity into an important and proven way of empowering and helping develop young people
* Self Starter
* Team Player
* Good Listener
* Someone who appreciates the Communication is a key aspect in this role! Communication with your Leader Team, your young people and your ability to communicate and respond to emails and texts in a timely fashion!
Details of time commitment needed for role:
Wednesdays from 7-9pm. Potential of another club beginning for young people during the week (tbc)
Minimum time commitment per week:
3 hour p/week
Additional screening required for this role:
Application Form, Garda Vetting *required before you can begin, Referees, Liaising with Volunteer Co-ordinator (Regional Youth Officer for South Dublin), Attendance at Required Volunteer Training
If you have any questions about this role please feel free to get in touch:
Name: Claire Hutchinson
Address: Foróige, Block 12 D Joyce Way, Park West, Dublin 12
StudentVolunteer.ie enables students to have the opportunity to: enrich your personal development and employability skills, have a fun experience, meet new people, and give back to your community. Sign up now.Register Now