International Education Division, UL
Requirements:Only open to UL students in Autumn 2019 semester who have already been accepted to the Programme by the International Education Division
Every year, the International Education Division in the University of Limerick operates its very own Buddy Programme, which pairs hundreds of newly arrived international students with UL 'Buddies' who are on hand to help their guests get settled in their new surroundings, answer any questions they might have and introduce them to all there is to love and enjoy about UL and the wider Limerick area. This is a fun, engaging volunteering opportunity that meets the requirements of the President's Volunteer Award. The International Education Division will be on hand throughout the semester to support you in your role as a Buddy.
PLEASE NOTE IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY SIGNED UP IN PERSON AND BEEN ACCEPTED TO THE BUDDY PROGRAMME THROUGH THE INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION DIVISION IN UL, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO SIGN UP FOR THIS VOLUNTEERING OPPORTUNITY. FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO SIGN UP FOR THE BUDDY PROGRAMME, PLEASE CONTACT BUDDYPROGRAMME@UL.IE
• Be a friendly welcoming face to approximately two to four International students each semester
• Commit 12-20 hours a semester to your Buddy and to the programme
• Show you are interested in getting to know and interacting with your Buddy
• Be a good representative of the University of Limerick and Ireland
• Attend a training workshop
• Make contact via email with your International students at least four weeks in advance of the new term
• Answer queries, provide information on the University and the locality on an on-going basis
• Initiate a meeting with your students upon their arrival in Limerick
• Take part in the Buddy programme events organised by the International Education Division
• Collect tickets on behalf of your buddies for events
What’s in it for you:
• Chance to practice your language skills
• Learn about new cultures
• Help students from your own academic background
• Make friends with people from a different background
• Develop your communication skills
• Potentially receive a President’s Volunteer Award.
As a UL Buddy you will contribute to the work of the International Education Division to make UL a great campus for International students.
This role meets the PVA requirements.
Please note that places are limited for this position.
In order to pair you with suitable International students you will be required to complete an application form.
Is training provided?: Yes
Minimum time commitment per week:
1 hour p/week
Additional screening required for this role:
Application form available from firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about this role please feel free to get in touch:
Name: Lorna O'Sullivan
Address: International Education Division, UL, University of Limerick
StudentVolunteer.ie enables students to have the opportunity to: enrich your personal development and employability skills, have a fun experience, meet new people, and give back to your community. Sign up now.Register Now