Comhlamh Action Team
UL Teddy Bear Hospital
Requirements:Active GEMS student, Garda vetting, vaccinations up to date
NB: Unfortunately, we cannot accept applicants who are not part of GEMS UL.
Teddy Bear Hospital provides primary school students from across Limerick with the opportunity to interact with medical students in a safe and fun environment, while learning more about medicine. It involves children (aged 4-10) bringing in their own teddy bears (who act as the patients), and medical student volunteers acting as their doctors. The children rotate through a number of role-play scenarios, simulating common healthcare encounters. Each station has a different educational topic, such as ambulance, x-ray and surgery.
The aim of the project is to alleviate childhood anxiety surrounding hospitals and doctors. It is a unique and interactive way for children to experience the atmosphere at a hospital without being patients themselves.
The Teddy Bear Hospital has six mains goals:
1. To alleviate childhood anxiety about medical environments, procedures and medical professionals
2. To enable children to learn about the nature of a medical consultation in a fun and engaging way
3. To give children an opportunity to ask questions and discuss their fears associated with medical settings and treatments
4. To promote the importance of a healthy lifestyle and preventative medicine (for example, healthy nutrition and hand washing)
5. To improve the confidence of medical students to interact with children in a medical setting
6. To strengthen the relationship between UL GEMS and the surrounding community
In the past, medical student volunteers have been involved in the planning and preparation of individual stations, chaperoning groups of children, leading stations, and more.
Is training provided?: Yes
Please note that Garda Vetting is required for this position which will be processed with you after you apply.
Minimum time commitment per week:
1 hour p/week
If you have any questions about this role please feel free to get in touch:
Address: UL Teddy Bear Hospital, UL Teddy Bear Hospital, Faculty of Education & Health Services, Garraun, Castletroy, Co. Limerick, V94T9PX
StudentVolunteer.ie enables students to have the opportunity to: enrich your personal development and employability skills, have a fun experience, meet new people, and give back to your community. Sign up now.Register Now