University of Limerick, Campus Guides 2023
Academic Registry, University of Limerick
1.1. This website, www.studentvolunteer.ie/nuigalway (the "Site") is operated by the University of Galway, Ireland, is a registered charity (CHY 1388) and registered office address of University of Galway, Ireland, University Road, Galway, Ireland.
1.2. This Privacy Statement (together with our Cookies Policy http://www.studentvolunteer.ie/about/cookie-policy/ sets out the basis on which we gather and use any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us by using this Site.
1.3. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. By using this Site, you signify acceptance of this Privacy Statement, our Cookies Policy and to our using and processing your personal information. If you do not agree with or you are not comfortable with any aspect of the Privacy Statement or our Cookies Policy, please leave the site now.
1.4. We reserve the right to modify this Privacy Statement and/or our Cookies Policy at any time. Any changes to this Privacy Statement and/or our Cookies Policy will be posted on the Site so you are always aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we disclose it. Your continued use of any portion of the Site following notification or posting of such changes will constitute your acceptance of those changes.
1.5. We will use your personal data only for the purposes and in the manner set forth below which describes the steps we take to ensure our processing of your personal data is in compliance with the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 (the "Acts"). For the purposes of the acts, The University of Galway, Ireland, is a is a registered charity and its number is CHY1388, the registered office address of University of Galway, Ireland, University Road, Galway, Ireland is the data controller in respect of your personal data.
2. Information we may collect from you
2.1. We may collect personal information from you in a variety of ways, including when you register for the Site and/or apply for a volunteer role, register a civil society organisations (including the provision by you of details of any officers or employees relating to such a registered charity), when you download resources from our website, complete your online profile, complete a survey or if you contact us by email. This may include the following:
Information you give us:
2.2. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on the Site or by corresponding with us or any other user of the Site or otherwise through your use of the Site. This includes information you provide when you register to use the Site.
2.2.1. The information you give us may include:
· Information relating to your identify (e.g. name, email address, physical address, student ID, gender, username, password details, demographic information, postal code and other registration information);
· Information relating to the university or college you attend, student level (year of study), subject discipline, department, your education, your title, your degree or certification, your affiliation with a professional organization or educational institution; or
· In respect of a representative of civil society organisations, information relating to your identity (e.g. name, email address, username, password details) details relating to your position within a civil society organisations and other registration information:
· Information we collect about you and your device:
2.2.2. Each time you visit or use our Site we may automatically collect the following information:
· technical information, including the type of device you use, a unique device identifier (for example, your Device's IMEI number, the MAC address of the Device's wireless network interface, or the mobile phone number used by the Device), web browser software, IP address, the type of mobile browser you use, time zone setting; and
· details of your use of the Site or your visits to any other of our sites including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data or otherwise and the resources that you access. One of our goals in collecting this automatic information is to help us understand the interests of our users and customize your user experience. To learn more about how we collect information through cookies and other tracking technologies, please refer to the Cookies and Other Web Technologies section below.
· Information we obtain from third parties
2.2.3. We are working closely with third parties (including, civil society organisations and other higher education institutions or Institutes of Technology details of which are made available on the Site (the "Participating Institutions") and may receive information about you from them.
3. Cookies and Other Web Technologies
3.2. We use Google analytics to identify which areas of our site are visited most frequently. This helps us to understand how our Site is being used so that we can make it more useful for visitors.
4. Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
4.1. Information you give to us. We will use this information:
· To enable personal identification within the Site, for the provision of information in relation to volunteering opportunities, to register you or your organisation as a member on the Site or for volunteering opportunities, including to facilitate your access to and use of the Site and/or volunteering opportunities;
· To manage user registrations and associated data;
· To provide you with general information on the Site and to notify you of or contact you in relation to new volunteering opportunities and provide you with information in connection with those opportunities;
· To approve, reject or otherwise manage volunteer opportunities from civil society organisations or submissions from student registrations;
· To respond to your requests for information, queries and other communication or correspondence you may submit to us and to provide you with information that you request from us;
· To ensure that content on the Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
· To notify you about or contact you in relation to changes to the Site, new members or volunteering opportunities and to maintain user accounts;
· To gather management information to form statistical, modelling and trend analysis with the aim of developing and improving the Site and to provide local data on student volunteer practices and contribution to society;
· To manage the accuracy and security of student and civil society organisations data relevant to their region and the Participating Institutions;
· To amend opportunities posted if necessary and to set a start and end date for such opportunities where appropriate;
· To provide advice and guidance to staff within the Participating Institutions;
· To facilitate Data Access Requests including liaising with the Participating Institutions or civil society organisations in relation to Data Access Requests;
· To produce local anonymised data reports on the number of students volunteering, the number of hours volunteered by students, the type of volunteer work carried out and the number and type of civil society organisations working within a Participating Institution;
· To provide you with details of events;
· To maintain a database of all registered students and registered charities, civil society organisations and Participating Institutions; and
· To assess, manage and grant student certifications relating to volunteer work carried out.
We may also use your information for data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, enhancing, improving or modifying our services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and operating and expanding activities. We may use your information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate to enforce our terms and conditions and to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit damages that we may sustain.
In addition, we may make use of the information we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
4.2. Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
· to administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
· to improve our Site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
· to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so; and
· to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our Site about volunteering opportunities or services that may interest you or them.
4.3. Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
5. Disclosure of your information
5.1. We may disclose your personal data to Participating Institutions, civil society organisations (including sectorial management staff, data protection officers and personnel of such Participating Institutions or civil society organisation), students who use the Site and to our or their service providers, subcontractors, partners and agents (collectively "Contractors"). Such Contractors may include, without limitation, third parties who carry out hosting, cloud services, maintenance or provide us with other services, such as research studies, in relation to the Sites and/or the volunteering opportunities details of which are made available on the Site.
5.2. We may disclose your personal data to third parties (including third parties who are not Contractors):
· If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation or court order, or in order to enforce, establish, exercise or defend legal rights, the rights, property, or safety of you, us, our Contractors, or employees;
· To provide you with information in relation to events or volunteering opportunities; or
5.3. We may also provide non-personal data to third parties, where such information is combined with similar information of other users of our Sites. For example, we might inform third parties regarding the number of unique users who visit our Sites, the demographic breakdown of our community users of our Sites, or the activities that visitors to our Sites engage in while on our Sites. The third parties to whom we may provide this non-personal data may include our website design, development, hosting contractors, cloud and other service providers.
6. Where we store your personal information
6.1. The personal data that we collect from you is hosted on the HEAnet server, based in the Republic of Ireland. Anonymised data may be processed by staff operating outside of your HEI, but who work for our HEI or for one or our Contractors who act on our behalf. Your local coordinator will be engaged in, among other things, the processing of your request for information, the provision of services to you and the provision of support services. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your personal data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Statement and the Acts.
7. Safeguarding your information
7.1. The security and confidentiality of your personal data is extremely important to us. As no data and information transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as 100% secure, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you transmit to us and you transfer the personal data at your own risk. We endeavour to use and keep under review appropriate technical and organizational measures (including staff training and awareness) in order to protect against unauthorised or unlawful processing of your personal data, including unauthorised destruction, alteration or disclosure or access. We shall only hold personal data for as long as is necessary or as required by law.
7.2. Certain features and functionality include interactive functions allowing you to submit information. Information you submit in using these features will be accessible by us. Ensure when using these features that you do not submit any personal data and data that you do not want to be seen, collected or used by us or the persons to whom we disclose data in accordance with Section 5. By providing us with your personal data in this way, you consent to our processing of your personal data and any sensitive personal data for the purposes set in this Privacy Statement.
8. Third party sites
8.1. The Site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, Participating Institutions or civil society organisations. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites and any services that may be accessible through them have their own privacy statements or policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these statements, policies or for any personal data that may be collected through these websites or services, such as contact and location data. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites or use these services.
9. Your rights
9.1. You have a right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your information) if we intend to use your information for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can also exercise the right to prevent such processing at any time by contacting us at Customer Services as set out in the "Contacting Us" section at the end of this Privacy Statement.
9.2. You have the right to request a copy of the personal data held by us about you. We may charge a fee for this which will not exceed €6.35 or such other amount otherwise permitted by law. You also have the right to access your personal data, have changed any inaccuracies in the details we hold about you, the right to object to the use of your personal data and the right to block any specific uses of your personal data.
9.3. Your rights of access and modification may be exercised by contacting us as set out in the "Contacting Us" section at the end of this Privacy Statement. It is your responsibility to ensure that any information you have provided to us is accurate and up-to-date.
10. Contacting Us
10.1. Questions, comments and requests regarding this Privacy Statement are welcomed and should be addressed to Lorraine Tansey, firstname.lastname@example.org
StudentVolunteer.ie enables students to have the opportunity to: enrich your personal development and employability skills, have a fun experience, meet new people, and give back to your community. Sign up now.Register Now