UL Buddy Programme Autumn 2018
International Education Division, UL
Requirements:Experience or interest in working with Young People, Specialist Skills desirable
Foróige is a nationwide youth organisation, engaging with 50,000 young people nationwide, with a dedicated staff of 400 and over 5,000 volunteers, who help achieve our work with young people.
Foróige support a range of activities / programmes for young people:
vVolunteer led Clubs / Cafés
vLocal Youth Services
vLocal Youth Development Projects
vGarda Diversion Programmes
vDrugs Prevention Programmes
v Neighbourhood Youth Projects
vBig Brother Big Sister
vEducation Programmes -
vBe Happy Be Healthy,
vHealth & Wellbeing,
Real U, Drugs Awareness
Foróige have approximately 600 clubs nationwide, with a growing network of clubs in South Dublin.
Foróige are currently involved in development work (March 2017) to establish a new Foróige club in the Inchicore area, likely targeting 10-12 year olds.
Inchicore has quite a significantly large population of young people in the aera and we feel a Juniors Club would be a great asset to the local community.
Our Juniors Clubs provide young people with a great introduction to Foróige. Age is not limiting and our Juniors Clubs achieve great things, Benchball Competitions, Cooking, Arts n Crafts, Variety Shows, Cinema Trips..
Is training provided?: Yes
Please note that Garda Vetting is required for this position.
Tasks that the volunteer(s) will be expected to undertake:
* To work together with a team of volunteer leaders, to host a weekly club for a group of young people
* As part of this, you will help contribute ideas for appropriate activities and learning opportunities for the members, based on the interests and abilities of the members
* As a Leader, you will also be taking on board tasks associated with the successful co-ordination of this club, from managing the paperwork, to organising refreshments, to arranging the necessary resources for a particular club activity (don't worry, these jobs are all shared)
**PLEASE NOTE! We recognise that as 3rd level students, you have important time and commitment pressures on you, exams, study, study, study, part time jobs, down time... we would appreciate that if you wish to be involved in this role, that you are clear with your levels of involvement with the Volunteer Co-ordinator and your Leader Team! Absenteeism really can affect the health and success of a youth club!
Skills required for this role:
* Enthusiasm – this is a new club that is trying to get up off it’s feet! You will be starting afresh with this club rather than joining a pre-existing club, which is a great and opportunity ridden position to be in!
* Willingness to invest time, creativity into an important and proven way of empowering and helping develop young people
* Self Starter
* Team Player
* Good Listener
* Someone who appreciates the Communication is a key aspect in this role! Communication with your Leader Team, your young people and your ability to communicate and respond to emails and texts in a timely fashion!
Details of time commitment needed for role:
Being Confirmed At Present
Minimum time commitment per week:
3 hour p/week
Additional screening required for this role:
Application Form, Garda Vetting * You cannot begin volunteering until you have been Garda Vetted by Foróige, Informal Interview, Liaising with Volunteer Co-ordinator / Regional Youth Officer for South Dublin, attend required training
If you have any questions about this role please feel free to get in touch:
Name: Claire Hutchinson
Address: Foróige, Block 12 D Joyce Way, Park West, Dublin 12
StudentVolunteer.ie enables students to have the opportunity to: enrich your personal development and employability skills, have a fun experience, meet new people, and give back to your community. Sign up now.Register Now