Oxfam Shop Volunteer
Cork Life Centre
Do you have time to volunteer, teaching Junior & Leaving Cert subjects on a 1:1 basis?
Are you good at building positive relationships and motivating people?
Do you have interest in Teaching, Counselling, Youth & Community Work or Social Work?
The Cork Life Centre is now recruiting Volunteers for the new academic year Sept 2019 to May 2020.
Come Join our Team! Email your CV firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Cork Life Centre is a Voluntary Organisation which supports 12-18 year olds who for multiple reasons have not thrived in the mainstream educational setting
* An alternative Centre of education, the Life Centre prepares young people for state exams following the National Junior & Leaving Cert Curriculum.
* The Centre offers 1:1 tuition & supports student’s holistic needs through counselling & outreach work.
* At the Centre, students learn vital social & life skills; develop positive trusting relationships with peers and staff; build resilience, confidence & self-belief
* Our environment is ‘home like’ open & accepting, our relationships are based on mutual respect, our aim to encourage students’ to reach their full potential
Is training provided?: Yes
Please note that Garda Vetting is required for this position.
Tasks that the volunteer(s) will be expected to undertake:
Teaching Young People One to One or in small groups in preparation for their Junior Cert and Leaving Certificate exams. Subjects include: English, Irish, Maths, History, Geography, CSPE, Modern Foreign Languages, Science, Home Economics, Art, Woodwork, Music, Business.
Skills required for this role:
Attributes & Skills Required
- Experience or interest in Teaching, Counselling, Youth & Community Work or Social Work.
- Ability/skills to teach subjects to Junior Certification level on a 1:1 basis.
- Be caring, enthusiastic and non-judgemental in their approach to people.
- Have the ability to build relationships and motivate vulnerable young people.
Life Centre provides Volunteer Teachers - Induction Programme
- On going Support / Advice / Recognition/ Supervision and mentoring
- In house and externally Certificated Training Opportunities
- Our Volunteers gain substantial and invaluable work experience to develop their Careers
Details of time commitment needed for role:
1 Afternoon per week, 2.30 - 4.30 Mon - Thurs
Minimum time commitment per week:
2 hour p/week
Additional screening required for this role:
- Be committed to fulfilling our minimum availability requirement Screening Details for Volunteer Teacher Role - Application Form - Informal Interview - References - Complete Irish Garda Vetting and if lived overseas must also provide Police Vetting from relevant country.
If you have any questions about this role please feel free to get in touch:
Name: Don O Leary
Address: Cork Life Centre, 6 Winter's Hill, Sunday's Well Road
StudentVolunteer.ie enables students to have the opportunity to: enrich your personal development and employability skills, have a fun experience, meet new people, and give back to your community. Sign up now.Register Now